DMS examines ‘WIN’ things change

Sixth-grade students gather in the commons during WIN. This year, students will be staying in classrooms, going outside or going to the commons more than they go to the gym.
Davis Wheeler

There are some changes happening with Duncan Middle School’s WIN period this year.

DMS students use their Chromebooks during WIN in the computer lab. (Davis Wheeler)

WIN, which stands for What I Need, is the student remediation and enrichment period, has been a DMS mainstay for the past few years. During the class period, teachers get an opportunity to reteach, while some students can work on missing assignments.

This poll has ended.

Do you like the changes in WIN this year?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Assistant Principal Amie Moore said students at DMS will be back to staying in their classrooms during WIN this year, much like what it was like when the current eighth-graders were in sixth grade. Moore said it won’t be exactly the same as it was back then.

Tuesdays will be dedicated to Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) Time.

During DEAR, students will get to choose their book and then read it during that set time. Of course, teachers will still be able to pull students for WIN if they need to.

She also said that Thursdays will be dedicated to math, and students will be able to do things like Prodigy and Kahoot.

Fridays will be a little different.

Moore said Fridays will alternate between people being in the gym, being outside and being in the commons. She also said the school will be buying big screen TVs for the commons to play motivational videos.

She said Duncan Middle School administrators are making these changes because the principals felt that the students were getting bored of constantly being in the gym. One of the goals for the changes in WIN is to keep students active and engaged. 

Moore said she thinks the changes will help with WIN.

Joni Blackburn, a sixth-grade social studies teacher, said she’d wait to see how the changes go.

Blackburn said she likes not having to be in the bleachers every day during WIN and would like to have more days in her classroom with her homeroom than she currently does.