Art students show off the banner created for Veterans Day.
Matthew Maytubby

Veterans Day assembly to be held Friday

Duncan Middle School is having a Veterans Day assembly for students, teachers and area veterans.

The event is set for 1 p.m. Friday at the Duncan Middle School. Students will check into sixth hour before being dismissed for the assembly.

“Most people are coming from the Biker Church from around town,” Sherry McGhghy, Title I teacher, said.

MgGhghy, who is also the National Junior Honor Society sponsor, spent time planning the event. She said the program is a way to celebrate Veterans Day and veterans.

The assembly is an annual project for Duncan Middle School. In the past, veterans have talked to the middle school students and cannons have been fired.

Veterans Day Assembly Schedule

Color Guard Presents Colors and Flag Salute – Boy Scout Troop 4434 (Griffin Kidd, Ayden Pennypacker and Henry Spoering)

Singing of National Anthem – Anna Hutto

Welcome – Sherry McGhghy

“Who Are the Brave” – Joseph Martin (seventh/eighth-grade Demon Chorale)

What is Veterans Day and Moment of Silence – Tag Ensey (NJHS Officer)

Slide Show – Crystal Hambrook, Hannah Harris and Taylor Thompson (Tammy Spark’s Tween Life Class)

“Taps” – Lindsey Williams

“In Flanders Field” (Poem by Lt. Col. John McCrae) – eighth-grade students, led by Christy Clark and Brenda Hurley (eighth-grade English teachers)

Guests Of Honor – Randy Bolton, Harold Feltman, Scot Keenan, Bill Smith and Sean Wagner

Retire Flags – Boy Scouts

Closing – Principal Rodney Strutton